- Felt sheets – Assorted colors (At least 4)
- Craft Glue
- Polyfoam Ball 100mm
- Googly Eyes
Step 1: Using a knife, cut off the bottom section of the poly foam ball. This will help to keep the ball from rolling.
Step 2: Cut out oval shapes with pointed ends using 2 different felt colors. They will be the feathers for the owl. I cut approx. 14 cream for the belly & about 32 purple, but it really does depends on how big they are & how much you overlap them.
Step 3: Cut out 4 circles for the eyes. Two big, Two small. These will create the owl’s eyes.
Step 4: Cut out 2 Oval shapes from the brown for the ears. Cut out 1 small triangle for the nose. Cut out 1 big triangle for the head.
You should have everything cut out now.
Step 5: Using the cream felt, start from the bottom & work your way around and then up, another lapping as much as you like. Stop when you think the belly is big enough. Go up 3/4 of the way.
Step 6: Do the same with the purple.
Step 7: Glue the Nose & the Yellow eyes in place, making sure the Nose is underneath the eyes.
Step 8: Place the Big Triangle cut out on top of the owl ‘s head. If there are any polyfoam not covered (like in my picture.) Move the feathers around to cover- hopefully, the glue hasn’t dried yet. Remove the triangle – do not glue on yet.
Step 9: With the 2 Brown ovals felt bits, squeeze the ends together and glue. Leave to dry, use something to hold it together.
Step 10: Glue ears in place.
Step 11: Glue Triangle on. Glue Google eyes on.
And here it is HOOT HOOT!!!!
- You can use a small triangle for the feathers, but I find it to be a bit fiddly.
- Instead of the big triangle on the top, keep on going up with the feathers.
- Put feet on the bottom
- Cut the eyes out in 1 full piece, like a mask.
- Make it into a baby’s hanging mobile. Just attach a loop and fishing wire to the top & don’t cut the bottom off, cover it. Use sticks from your garden as the framework.
- Experiment with sizes. Have them sitting on a bookshelf, like Russian dolls
You can try find out more about