Make a tropical sundae with cold ice cream and fresh fruit over warm, fried plantains.
What you’ll need
- 1 Tbs. shredded coconut
- 1 over ripe plantain
- 1-2 tsp. Brown sugar
- crushed pineapple, drained
- diced strawberries
- oil for frying
How to make it
- When choosing plaintains, go for ones that have many black spots with some yellow still peeking through. They aren’t pretty, but will be naturally sweet when fried.
- Add a scant teaspopn of oil to a frying pan and bring to a medium heat. Toast the shredded coconut until just browned. Stir often, and watch carefully to avoid burning. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Cut plaintain in half, and then cut each half lengthwise into quarters. You should have eight slices about 1/4″ thick each. Pour oil to cover the bottom of the same frying pan used to toast the coconut and heat over a medium heat. Place plantain slices in a single layer and fry until golden brown. Flip and fry opposite side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with brown sugar while still hot.
- Place warm plantains in the bottom of the bowl. Layer on vanilla ice cream, diced mango and strawberries, crushed pineapple and sprinkle on top with toasted coconut. Serve immediately.