Make a tropical sundae with cold ice cream and fresh fruit over warm, fried plantains.
What you’ll need
- 1 Tbs. shredded coconut
- 1 over ripe plantain
- 1-2 tsp. Brown sugar
- crushed pineapple, drained
- diced strawberries
- oil for frying
How to make it
- When choosing plaintains, go for ones that have many black spots with some yellow still peeking through. They aren’t pretty, but will be naturally sweet when fried.
- Add a scant teaspopn of oil to a frying pan and bring to a medium heat. Toast the shredded coconut until just browned. Stir often, and watch carefully to avoid burning. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Cut plaintain in half, and then cut each half lengthwise into quarters. You should have eight slices about 1/4″ thick each. Pour oil to cover the bottom of the same frying pan used to toast the coconut and heat over a medium heat. Place plantain slices in a single layer and fry until golden brown. Flip and fry opposite side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with brown sugar while still hot.
- Place warm plantains in the bottom of the bowl. Layer on vanilla ice cream, diced mango and strawberries, crushed pineapple and sprinkle on top with toasted coconut. Serve immediately.
You can try find out more about