- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 1 pound all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Extra flour for dusting work surface
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast, sugar and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour in the hot water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mound the flour on your work surface and sprinkle in the salt. Use a fork to incorporate the two ingredients then form a large well in the center of the flour.
- Pour the dissolved yeast mixture into the center of the well and then little by little, use a fork to pull flour from the well into the center. Continue until mixture begins to thicken.
- Using your hands, begin kneading the dough until it comes together. Continue kneading until all of the flour has been incorporated evenly into the dough. Shape it into a ball.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover it with a greased piece of parchment paper. Let it rest for one hour in a warm, dry place until it doubles in size.
- Knock down the dough on your floured work surface then cut it into the desired amounts.
- Place the dough onto a greased cookie sheet and cover it again with a damp towel. Let the dough rise a second time for one more hour.
- Knock down the dough sections a second time then roll it into the desired shape, top it with your desired toppings and bake it in a 500ºF oven until golden brown.