These homemade hamburger buns are seriously the best. Why? First of all, there are no preservatives. Secondly, they are super easy to make and lastly, they have great texture and taste amazing! We’ve been making these for about one year and there’s no turning back to the old store bought buns. They are 100x’s better than store bought….you will understand once you make them. The best thing about these buns is how simple and easy they are to make. Anyone can do it! It’s super fun and they turn out beautiful every time. The last awesome thing about these is they freeze great! The recipe makes 10 buns, so if you don’t need all of them, just place them in something air tight and they are good to go! Enjoy these buns!
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-5 1/2 cups flour (start with 4 cups and add more if needed)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- sesame seeds
1. Combine the milk, water, butter, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then remove from the heat and let stand until lukewarm 120-130 degrees. If the mixture is too hot, it will kill the yeast.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour and yeast. Pour in wet (cooled) ingredients and stir until the dough starts to pull together. If you have a stand mixer, use the dough hook to mix for about 8 minutes. If not, knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let stand until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. Punch down the dough and divide into 10 portions. Make tight balls out of the dough by pulling the dough tightly around and pinching it at the bottom. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. After the rolls sit for a minute and relax, flatten each ball with the palm of your hand until it is 3-4 inches wide. You may want to oil your hands first. Set rolls aside until they double in size, about 20 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Mix together the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Brush onto the tops of the rolls.
5. Bake fore 15-20 minutes, or until nicely browned on the top and bottom.