There’s nothing like waking up very early on a Monday and getting work out of the way before lunchtime. It’s the best feeling in the world, especially if you also happen to be running on strong coffee.
Now that I’ve gotten work out of the way, let’s get some sewing done! I give you here a tutorial for my birthday skirt. This DIY skirt, as I said, is inspired by a Burberry Prorsum piece. Hope you like it!
A – Half of the desired width. Mine was 50″ in total. I like full skirts. I stand at 5 feet and has a 34-inch hip.
B – Desired length. Measure from the true waist or where you want your waistline to lie. Measure from the true waist if you want a high-waist tabbed skirt.
A1 = A / B1 = B
C – Hip measurement + 4 inches.
D – Waistline width x 2. Mine was 4 inches in total.
E = D
Your tab can be longer or shorter. The length is up to you. Or your waist measurement.
Note: Do not forget allowances for all pieces.
You will also need elastic (must fit your desired waistline width), two buttons, & matching thread.
1. Sew along the stitch line of the top part of your front skirt panel. Pull the bottom thread to give it a shirred effect. The resulting shirred side should correspond to 1/2 of your waist measurement. Leave the back panel un-shirred.
2. Take the two panels and sew the sides, right sides together.
3. Take your waistline piece, sew D to E, right sides together.
4. Fold the waistline “circle” in the middle, cross-wise. The resulting waistline “circle” should be 2″ + allowance.
5. Mark the front middle point (I used the stitched ends as the middle of the back part and reference).
6. From the front middle point, measure half of your waistline to the side. Mark the point. Do the same to the other side of the middle point.
7. Fold the waistline allowance inwards. Pin. Do not sew. Make sure that you still know where the points you marked in the previous step.
8. Take your skirt bottom and pin the front part into the front waistline.
9. The sides of your shirred front panel should correspond to the points you marked in step 6. This should not be a problem since the front skirt panel is shirred to match 1/2 of your waist measurement.
10. Insert the skirt bottom to the waistline, all the way to the back part.
11. You may need to manually shirr the back panel of your skirt as you insert it to the back waistline. This doesn’t have to be “clean.”
12. Sew the skirt bottom to the waistline. Leave an allowance along the back waistline for inserting your elastic. You will need two un-sewn allowances for this; one near the sides of your skirt.
13. Insert your elastic. Flatten in a way that one end of your elastic is perpendicular to the waistline. Sew this end to your skirt waistline. This stitch line should be along the side of your skirt.
14. Insert elastic and then sew the other end to the other side of your waistline. The allowance near here is for helping you maneuver the elastic flat. At this point, fit your skirt to know that the elastic isn’t too loose.
15. Sew the elastic allowances shut.
16. Sew along the top part of the front waistline to keep it flat.
17. Take your tab pieces. Sew along the sides, right sides together. Leave allowance for turning inside out.
18. Turn inside out.
19. Flatten and top stitch all around to make your tab look pretty.
20. Position on the middle of your front waistline. Attach by sewing your chosen buttons.
22. Congratulate yourself because you just made a high-waist tabbed skirt!
PS – This is what the side of your skirt should look like. The back waistline is garterized while the front is flat to accommodate the tab.
1. Thicker fabrics may be hard to shirr. You can manually shirr the skirt front part as you insert it to the front waistline. This is easier than it sounds, don’t worry.
2. Wear high on the waist with dolman-like tops.
- 95% Polyester, 5% Spandex, Fabric is very stretchy
- High Waist, rib-knit, vented, back split, long/full length, pencil skirt
- Basics and elegant, cute looking with crop top, cami, tee shirt, blouse
- Suitable for casual, vacation, school, work and daily wear,suit for women and junior girl
- Please refer to the size measurement below
- ❤75% Acrylic & 25% polyester, knit fabric,great stretchy.Machine washable
- 🧡Empire waist,high quality ribbed knit,sexy bodycon design,elegant style
- 💛Buttons down side for decoration,split side for a charming and chic look
- 💚Glamorous match with basic tops,blouse,shirts,sweaters,cardigan,coat,etc
- 💜Great pair with high heels or boots.Warm wear for winter,fall,spring and cool weather
- This women's ribbed maxi skirt with side splits up to the knee is a great everyday staple that can be worn at work or nights out
- Pair with a luxe fabric, high-neck long-sleeve top and a puffer jacket for an understated look
- Side splits up to the knee
- "Personal Shopper Style Tip: Layer this ribbed maxi skirt with a white tee and a pair of mules for a relaxed yet trendy look" - Amy
- The skirt is very soft and stretchy.Polyester and Spandex material, thick fabric
- Feature:High Waist, Below Knee, Slim Fit, Pencil Skirt
- Occasion:Perfect for Spring,Summer,Fall,Weekend Casual,Office,Business Occasion,Shopping and Daily Wear.
- Care:Wash with cold water. Do not bleach or tumble dry warm.
- Size:Please refer to the size chart below before ordering.
- Material: 95% Polyester, 5% Spandex, high quality cotton textured
- Fabric is very stretchy, very comfory and NO see-though
- High waist, lettuce trim, rib-knit, above knee/short/mini elegant cute skirt
- Basic and simple, slim fit, casual style, suit for women and junior girls on summer
- Please refer to the size chart below before purchase
- This comfortable skirt features a soft terry cotton blend and a self-tie drawstring waistband
- Terry cotton and the softest modal are blended to create the perfect rib-knit blend
- Start every outfit with Daily Ritual's range of elevated basics - check out more sweaters, tops, and dresses from Daily Ritual by visiting amazon.com/dailyritual
- Model is 5'10" and wearing size Small
- "Personal Shopper Style Tip: Grab your favorite white tee, denim jacket, and sneakers for an easy sporty look! " - Tania
- Fabric: Fabric has some stretch
- Elegant high waist bodycon midi skirt
- Feature: Split, Button, Rib-Knit, Pencil, Bodycon, High Waist, Fashionable and Casual.
- Casual Style: Pefect for pairing it with tee or blouses. Suitable for outgoing.
- Please refer to the size measurement below.
- Banded waist/pull-on style, High waisted, Straight slim cut
- High waisted, Straight slim cut, Straight hem with side slit
- 67.5% rayon, 29% nylon, 3.5% spandex; Hand or Machine wash cold, Laying flat to Dry
- Size Guide : Fits true to size, however those who are between sizes should take the larger size | NOTICE: Before order, please carefully read the Size Chart we provided in the pictures (Not Amazon size chart)
- Model size : 5'3" height, 34" bust, 24" waist, 34" hip, Normally wear 00~0, XS,24, and is wearing a size S
- STYLE - Flattering and form fitting, these pencil skirts for women are crafted from a poly spandex blend that ensures easy day-long wear and features a stretch waistband that lends a slimming and sexy hourglass shape.
- OCCASION - These womens skirts are classy and chic, appropriate for work attire, business casual wear, formal events, church, and great for date nights, brunch, weekends, or anytime you want to feel feminine and fabulous!
- PAIRING - Pair your ladies pencil skirt with a blazer and blouse for office wear. For everyday wear pair it with an easy top, layering cardigan or cami.
- SIZING - Please note that our skirts run a little big - if you are between sizes we recommend you size down for a proper fit.
- FEATURES - Womens pencil skirts for work, modest skirts, work clothes, faldas de mujer elegantes. Endless color options, from the basic black skirts for women and summery white skirts for women, to the vibrant red skirts for women, we've got you covered all year round. Reg and plus size skirts for women. Free shipping and returns!
- Fabric has some stretch. is soft, lightweight, comfy material
- Plain, sleeveless, ribbed, V notch cami top, cut out detail, regular length, suitable for all seasons
- Casual, basic and stylish outfit, great for underlaying or wearing it as a cami top, pretty looking with shorts or skinny pants
- Model is in size: S, measurements: height: 175cm/5'74" ,bust: 84cm /33" ,waist: 61cm/24" ,hips: 89cm/35"
- Please refer to the size chart below before purchasing