It’s no secret that I think Bikram Yoga is the best thing ever, besides Mexican food of course. While I understand Bikram may not be for everyone, I thought I would share some things I have learned that might help your Bikram experience.
1. DRINK LOTS OF WATER- I cannot stress this enough. Drink at least 16 oz. before class. Drink enough during class so you do not feel thirsty. After, drink enough water to replenish your body of all the water you lost during class. When I drink enough water daily, I don’t get very thirsty during class. I seriously drink about 100-150oz of water a day. It does take effort to drink this much water and I get sick of waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, but I have noticed a difference!
2. Stretch between classes, before class, and after class- the more you stretch, the more your body gets used to it. You will have an easier time in class if your muscles are more flexible. And no, you do not need to be super flexible to do yoga. It is ok if you can barely touch your toes standing up, as long as you have the right form.
3. Wear breathable clothes- I learned this the hard way. Running shorts are a big NO. So are cotton t-shirts. You want to wear something tight fitting. You don’t want your clothes to get in the way when you are trying to hold a posture. You want clothes that are breathable and moisture-wicking so that you stay cool. I also like to wear as little as possible, since extra fabric just means extra heat (it takes a few classes before you are used to being half naked in front of people. It is no less fabric than a swimsuit, though). I would love to wear some awesome Lululemon, but my old volleyball spandex and Target sports bra get the job done without the expensive price tag.
4. Bring the right gear- I talk about some great yoga gear here. If you don’t have a towel mat, bring a towel to put over your regular yoga mat. You will be slipping and sliding if you do not. Also bring a towel for after so you don’t drip sweat all the way home.
5. Bring an insulated water bottle– Seriously, cold water makes all of the difference. When you are so hot you can’t take it, ice water is just what you need. If you bring a plastic water bottle, that cold water will turn to hot in about 5 minutes. I use a tervis tumbler because I like having a straw and it works great. There is still some ice by the time class is over.
6. Don’t come too hungry or too full- Of course, you need to have energy for the class, which you get from eating. But, if you eat too close to class, you will pay for it. There is nothing more uncomfortable than twisting and turning with a full belly. The best thing to do is to eat about 3 hours before class.
7. Sit in class before it starts- Your body may need some time to adjust to the heat. If you go in right when class starts from the nice, cool air conditioning, it will take your body longer to adjust while you are trying to focus on the positions.
8. Sit towards the middle of the room- The corners of the room are by far the hottest. The closer to the middle you are, the cooler you will be. If your goal is to sweat as much as possible, ignore this tip.
9. Keep your mouth closed and eyes open- Breathing in and out of your nose is not natural for everyone. Before I started yoga, I was a mouth breather. It took me awhile to get used to inhaling and exhaling through my nose. Breathing through your nose allows more air to enter your system. It also feels natural to close your eyes. Resist the urge! I know from experience that closing your eyes at all during class will make you dizzy and nauseous. You don’t want to be the one who passes out in class.
10. Don’t wipe your sweat!- As hard as it is, don’t do it. I like sweating when I am working out because it feels great and refreshing, but the dripping feeling on my face drives me bonkers. We sweat for a reason. Sweat helps our bodies release heat and regulate body temperature. If you wipe your sweat off, your body will retain heat and you could potentially overheat.
I hope these tips help and encourage you to get out there and try Bikram. You won’t be sorry!
- USE WITH OR WITHOUT A YOGA MAT - Heading to the beach or a remote vacation? No need to pack your unwieldy yoga mat. All you need is a Shandali Yoga towel, and any location becomes a yoga studio. If you do have a mat, use the Shandali yoga towel to give your yoga posture a plush velvety feel that not only feels great, but also absorbs slippery sweat and makes your expensive mat last longer!
- GET FIT AND STRONG: Yoga improves your muscle tone and fitness when you practice regularly. With a slippery sweat-free foundation you will have more confidence and more stability. In this way, the GoSweat Shandali Yoga Towel will help you achieve harder postures and more advanced techniques. By improve your yoga practice and confidence, you will soon notice marked improvements to your health and physical wellbeing.
- PERFECT YOUR POSTURES: Using a yoga towel helps to create a solid, stable and sweat free foundation to practice on. Without the risk of slipping on sweat, you can stay focused and advance quickly in your asana practice. It takes a consistent foundation that you trust for the most productive development in yoga.
- KEEP HYGIENIC AND HEALTHY: Increase your confidence when using the studio's in-house mats by putting a hygienic layer between you and the mat. Bring your own clean yoga towel, place on top of the studio mat, and remove your worries about whose sweat and germs you'll be practicing on. No need to hurt your shoulders carrying your heavy yoga mat from home; just take your Shandali Yoga towel. It's lightweight, easy, personal, and fits nicely into your bag.
- 100% FACTORY PERFORMANCE WARRANTY: The original buyer of this towel is covered 100% under our performance warranty! If the original buyer is not absolutely pleased with the performance of our yoga towel, the original purchase includes a 1 YEAR 100% money back warranty. We want you to try towel and keep it only if you absolutely love it!
- SUPER SOFT & ABSORBENT - The BEST yoga towel for those sweaty sessions of bikram / hot yoga where you need to absorb your sweat to stay in pose and balanced.
- PERFECT FIT & PREMIUM QUALITY - This high quality, odorless, durable, non-slip microfiber towel is perfectly sized (72" x 26") to place on top of any regular and XL sized yoga mat.
- MULTI-PURPOSE - Bring it everywhere! It’s super lightweight, easy to pack, and dries fast - perfect for pilates, exercise classes, the gym, showering, camping, travel, beach, and more!
- EASY MACHINE WASH & DRY - Wash and dry separately first, then it’s fine to throw in with the rest of your laundry so you’ll always have a clean towel for your next class!
- 100% YOGI HAPPINESS & SAVINGS GUARANTEE - Automatically GET 10% OFF 2 Towels, 15% OFF 3 Towels, and 20% OFF 4+ Towels! Not satisfied with your Yoga Mate experience? Simply contact customer service and get a full refund!
- √ Crisscross back straps let you twist with ease
- √ Removeble cup add shape and give coverage
- √ Made with lightweight,moisture-wicking power fabric,Mesh fabric lining help keep you cool and comfortable
- √ Fabric is designed to contour perfectly to your body,giving you a streamlined look
- √ Perfect bra for yoga,exercise,fitness,any type of workout,or everyday use.Icyzone Yoga bra combine fashion,function and performance.
- Washable & Quickly Drying - Pefi Yoga Towel can be washed by Washing machine,you don’t need to worry about getting it dirty.
- Non Slip –During the exercise, Pefi Yoga Towel will not move,since there are anti-slip particles in the back of the yoga towel.
- Multi-functional – You can put Pefi Yoga Towel on a Yoga Mat to prevent dirtying the Yoga Mat, or you can use it as a yoga rug in the gym, as a camping towel, or as a beach body wrap.
- Premium Quality Materials – Produced with 100% polyester microfiber,the well-made Yoga Towel are designed to offer you durability and comfort.
- Lifetime money back!100% satisfaction guarantee - Pefi is your best choice. We remove all risk. You absolutely do not worry about getting a dud product as we promise to return your money if you are not happy with your purchase.